Monday, February 2, 2009

Girl in a silver jacket. Boy in a hood. Newburgh




The picture of the girl in the silver jacket was the first photograph I took in Newburgh. It was in 1996 and in February. I had been thinking about photographing there for some time and decided if I didn't get started I might never do it, although it was a bitter day. The girl and her sister were on their way to the store for their mother. I took them together but saw straight away that the elder sister was the subject I wanted. She stood stock still in the freezing cold and welcomed the camera.

Since then I have not done much there in the winter; there are few people about and mostly those that are in the streets are hurrying along. One day last year Caroline asked if we could go to Newburgh together. I said there wouldn't be many people around but I knew she wanted to go so I thought why not, lets go.


After a drive round seeing hardly a soul, we spotted a few youths, amongst them a girl who I took. Then two children came to see what we were doing just as I was packing away
my Rollieflex and this boy was one of them.
To see more of Newburgh click here.



3 comments:

  1. Just like to say how well matched these two photographs are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this whole Newburgh series, but then I am a fan of all your portraits. Not only do I admire the lighting and the compositions, I am always amazed by the different emotions conveyed by people who are all "just looking at the camera" - and by the ways the viewer can interpret them.

    Wonderful job, Dmitri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I know the girl in the silver jacket, that I encountered that expression many times over when I attended Peekskill High School. At first intimidating, I learned that under the tough stare, was a girl friend with a smile and belly laugh that could rock the world.

    ReplyDelete