Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gentleman on Myrtle Avenue



Meanwhile across the street, Caroline spied a gentleman in a hat. He spoke no English, but he understood that I wanted to photograph him. He did not want to move from the spot where we saw him because he was waiting for the bus. I found this slit of sunlight shining through a gap in the overhead rail tracks only a few feet from where we were standing.

The bus came and he beckoned us to ride the bus with him. We wondered whether he wanted our company or did he think we too had been waiting for the bus.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely photo! Your wonderful use of light and close cropping dignifies the subject with a near iconic presence. Unlike Ms. Myrtle Avenue (i.e. an adult) I'm sure he was complimented by your request to photograph him. At best he likely would've enjoyed your company, and at least if he didn't, felt satisfaction knowing that you and Caroline made the bus you were waiting for too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true, he shook our hands when we met him. Treated the experience as an honor. Very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am especially fond of close-ups; faces tell stories or at least allow us to imagine we can glimpse into someone else's life. This gentleman reminds me of my Portuguese Grandfather-in-law, a hard working, honest family man. I love his impeccable tie knot.
    The lighting is perfect and I love the expression you captured, Dmitri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny now that I am reading the other comments - my comment is that he reminds ME of all my Puerto Rican great-uncles...real gentlemen [or so they seemed]...the hats are just magical like that....beautiful all around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The experience reminded when you photographed my Zio Antonio. Afterward you mentioned that people of his generation had a reverence for the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That they do. Here is a man genuinely honored.

    ReplyDelete