Friday, May 31, 2013

John, a member of the journalist class at Newburgh Free Academy

In partnership with the Newburgh Free Academy, Newburgh, NY, I was awarded a grant this spring by Arts in Orange County to give workshops on the subject of Observation. The workshops began badly when I asked the class to give up texting and look at what was around them. I also told them that if they were observing acutely and constantly, they would loose friends, as only their best friends would understand what they were trying to do. When we go out with a camera or a note book (which we should always be doing) we have little time for anything else but looking, I told them. 


1 comment:

  1. That does make the artist's life sound lonely. People depend so much on their electronic communication devices to maintain an illusion of friendship and belonging. I can see why they might have balked. Hope at least some took you up on it.

    ReplyDelete