Saturday, September 7, 2019

Waiting for a table at Ocean House, Croton-on-Hudson

                  Waiting for a table at Ocean House, Croton-on-Hudson.

Yesterday was my 87th birthday and Betsy took us to dinner here last night. Caroline parked the car in a nearby street and by mistake locked the steering. I tried to free it but failed. We told Paula, the co-owner, about it and she said, "Wait a minute, I'll tell Brian, he knows about these things." Brian is her husband and the chef.  It was an extremely busy night and I was not sure what he was going to be able to do to help us, but dropping everything in the kitchen, he asked Caroline for the key and where the car was. Caroline followed him out, and through the window, in roughly the time it takes to select a fish and put it on the grill, we saw them striding back waving and smiling.

Later in the evening the lights went out and a waitress with a single candle in a sorbet made her way to our table together with Paula and the other waitresses. They sang Happy Birthday; the rest of the house joined in. I then got up and asked the guests if I cold tell them what had happened to the car and how Brian, the chef, was not only a wonderful cook. Lots of clapping and people asking how old I was. I was much moved.

While all this was going I noticed the couple at the bar. I did not have my camera with me but these days there is no shortage of cameras to be had at the stretching of an arm. This is the first photograph I have posted using an iphone. I shall be taking all my life going pictures on one in the future.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment