Thursday, November 28, 2019

Johnathan Miller 1934-2019


I met Jonathan Miller (1) once and photographed him once. I make the distinction because photographing somebody does not always constitute an introduction to them. As a photographer you aim quite an offensive piece of equipment at people, ask them to move in this or that direction that they may not want to do, and then quite abruptly leave them when you have what you want. This is, of course, not always the case. You may be offered a drink or a cup of tea; you may even be offered dinner and to spend the night.

None of these things happened when I photographed Mr Miller. I waited for him on the set from which he was directing a BBC production, sat him down at a table, asked him to move a little this way and that, peered into my Hassleblad, pressed the shutter release and that was that.

Then I actually did meet him although this even was a stolen meeting.
I saw him at a club―not a night club―just a kind of place you heard about and went to see what it was like. It was not crowded and he was just wandering about alone with a drink in his hand. I had listened to him on Desert Island Discs (2) that afternoon. He had been describing how he got to know and love Beethoven’s late quartets ― listening to them on his car radio driving along the Los Angeles freeways. I was much taken by this and there the man was, the same day as I heard him describe this event, standing within a yard of me. I thought to hell with accosting famous people who you do not know, I went straight up to him and told him what a pleasure it had been to hear his unusual story. He said he was delighted that somebody had enjoyed it.

Footnote
(1) Jonathan Miller, 1934-2019, medical doctor, theater, film and opera director.  

(2) Desert Island Disc, "a (BBC Radio) programme in which a well-known person is asked the question, if you were to be cast away alone on a desert island, which eight gramophone records would you choose to have with you, assuming of course, that you had a gramophone and an inexhaustible supply of needles."

The programme was created by Roy Plomley in 1946. He also presented it until 1985. It is still broadcast every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment