Friday, March 27, 2020

Forthright

I took this photograph nine years ago on Main Street in Beacon, NY. In today's conditions the forthright attitude that this girl strikes is exactly what is required. It says, "We have to be alone to be safe. We do not know how long this state of life in isolation will last ― I will do it for as long as is necessary."

How the photograph came about: Our poster girl was with two of her friends. As soon as I saw the group I knew I only wanted to photograph her and would have to get rid of the others.  I did this by saying how wonderful they would look as a group. Then after I'd done the group, and they were all happy, I asked, "Could I just do one of you alone?".  I have used this subterfuge on a number of occasions and it has always worked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment